Yields approximately 100- 15g pieces
Prep Time: 1.5-2 hours (with wrapping)
When adding terpenes, start with one drop and build until you reach the desired effect.
- 4-quart heavy bottom pot
- Candy thermo (optional but not absolutely necessary for this recipe)
- 13”x9.5”x1” sheet pan lined with parchment up the sides
- 100- 3”x4.5” parchment squares cut for wrapping or premade candy wrappers
- Rubber gloves
- Sharp chef knife for portioning
- Kitchen scale that weighs grams
- 1 recipe Calm Salt (below)
- ½ cup toasted almonds, chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup corn syrup
- ½ cup salted butter
- 1 teaspoon Pure Almond Extract
- 3 drops Calm Terpology Blend
- 1 gram 1:1 CBD:THC 34% Cannabis Oil from Siskiyou Sungrown to dose each 15g Calm’mel with approximately 3.4mg THC and 3.4mg CBD each. Increase cannabis oil for recipe or portion larger pieces for higher doses. (-or- use ¼ cup cannabis butter in place of regular butter, equating to ¼ cup cannabis butter and ¼ cup regular butter for this recipe)
Combine in Ziplock bag or sealable container- 1 part Course Grey Sea Salt and 1 part Course Pink Himalayan Salt (about 2 tablespoons of each) and 4 drops Calm Terpology Blend by True Terpenes. Seal, shake vigorously and set aside.
- In heavy bottom pot combine sugar, water, corn syrup and butter. On medium low heat allow mixture to caramelize. The first 5-10 minutes place lid over pot to create condensation to reduce sugar crystallization around edges. Shake/swirl pot often to stir. If using a candy thermometer cook to 365 degrees. If you do not own a candy thermometer, watch your caramel very closely. You will see the color start to amber at the proper temperature, as well as reduced size of bubbles. This recipe is a medium caramel, you can absolutely take it to a deeper caramel color if you prefer but cooking to a higher temperature will also stiffen the caramels more. So if you’re looking for a super soft caramel (which this recipe is!) stick around 340 degrees F. You can determine the texture of your caramel by dropping a small amount into a glass of ice water. If it is still pliable but holds shape, it is at the perfect stage for soft caramels. Any softer and the caramels will have difficulty holding their shape or start to turn toward a very stiff caramel when cooked to a higher temperature.
- Once caramel has reached desired color and consistency, remove from heat and incorporate pure almond extract, cannabis oil and Calm Terpology Blend very well. Carefully pour into prepared sheet pan. Immediately sprinkle chopped almonds to cover entire surface. Sprinkle Calm Salt over entire surface. Let cool completely
- Once completely cooled, you can begin portioning. I divide it into 10 strips with the length of the sheet pan, placing each strip aside on clean parchment. Once portioned into 10 strips, start cutting and weighing each strip into 15g portions. When all candy is portioned, you should end up with about 100 pieces.
- As I am portioning, I set each candy piece onto its candy wrap and once all are portioned, I roll the caramel squares into a log, encasing the salted almonds in the center as well as on the outside. Wrap all Calm’mels. Store in cool, dry area -or- in fridge for an extra chewy caramel.