Home Fermented Yogurt with Zkittles Marmelade
by Clay Inscoe, @theterpeneconnoisseur
1 quart milk
1T plain yogurt with active cultures (with no other ingredients added)
-In a pot on the stove, heat milk over medium heat until it reaches 170F, stirring occasionally.
-When milk reaches 170F, move the entire pot to an ice bath and cool milk down to 110F, then remove from bath.
-Ladle about ½ cup of 110F milk to a small bowl and whisk in the 1T plain yogurt (I used Chobani). Once combined, whisk the mixture back into the rest of the milk.
– Pour mixture into a sterilized quart mason jar and screw lid on tight.
– To incubate the fermentation: place the warm jar in a small cooler, surrounded by several bottles filled with hot water. Use dish towels to insulate the jar and bottles, close the cooler and leave for about 10 hours to ferment.
-After 10 hours, refrigerate the jar of yogurt until fully chilled (at least 2 hours) before use.
Zkittles Marmelade ingredients:
½ pound strawberries, roughly chopped
1 medium grapefruit
¾ pound sugar
4 drops Zkittles Terpenes from True Terpenes
-Rinse the citrus well, cut off the ends and quarter the lime and tangerine length wise and cut the grapefruit into 8 pieces. Cut out the central pith and seeds then tie them inside a cheesecloth pouch.
– Slice citrus into thin triangle wedges. Combine in a pot with strawberries and sugar and 2 cups water.
– Bring the fruit and sugar to a simmer and cook slowly over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
– Cook mixture down until the citrus rinds are tender and the temperature hits 220F.
– Remove mixture from heat and stir in 4 drops Zkittles terpenes.
-Pour marmalade into a sterilized jar and either cool in the fridge. For long-term storage follow a standard heated canning process.
To assemble: in a bowl add 1 cup yogurt and top with 2-3 tablespoons Zkittles marmalade. I top mine with ground hemp seed, CBD oil, banana, dried blueberries, rose hip, mint and wild violets.